School volunteer projects
Looking for ways your students can help support community needs, demonstrate kindness and give back? We create citizenship projects students can do from their classrooms. Students learn how they can make a difference and gain an understanding of community needs.
Family volunteer projects
Youth community groups, seniors’ homes, daycares – everyone can make a difference. We create monthly citizenship projects that groups of any age can do from anywhere. You can make a difference together as a group, gain an understanding of community needs while team building!
Group volunteer projects
Looking for ways your family can support community needs, demonstrate kindness and give back? We create citizenship projects that kids and families can do from home. Spend time together making a difference and gain an understanding of community needs.
How to help during COVID-19
At Humanity In Practice, we believe that anyone can help any time, anywhere, even now. Here are several ways you can be h!p:
- Stay healthy, wash your hands often, and practice social distancing!
- Cook a meal or bake cookies for a neighbor or family member
- Buy a gift card and mail it to us – we share these with the shelters in Calgary
- Donate canned foods to the food bank (wipe them down first!)
- Make and mail a card to a loved one
- Knit toques, mittens or scarves (we collect these all year round to give out during winter to street-connected youth)
- Send notes of love and support through your social media channels
- Donate a meal through a local restaurant
- Read to a young child you know over FaceTime
- Take pictures of what life is like during these times for you and post them on Instagram @behipyyc using the hash tags #zaneography and #behipyyc
- Smile at the people you meet along your daily walk and wash your mailbox!
Our h!pchicks are women who want to help but who don't want a traditional volunteer role!
The power of email networking is the basis for this connective group. A fan-out request informs women of opportunities that need their help. If they can, they step up or wait for the next email! This enables women to choose involvement without pressure. All requests are flexible, episodic and respectful of the busy lives we lead.
You can help with your own friends by hosting a ‘H!Pchicks Do Wine.’ We have created six funky themes:
- Books & Bordeaux (collecting new children’s books)
- Granola & Grigio (collecting granola bars for the homeless)
- Men & Merlot (collecting men’s business attire for men rebuilding their lives)
- Panties & Prosecco (collecting bras and underwear for women)
- Raisin’ Kindness (book club)
- Runners & Riesling (collecting running shoes for teenage girls)
- Veggies & Vino (collecting vegetable peelers for low income families)
h!ppo is a program designed to support children living in shelters or transitional housing, by providing seasonal treats and creative play kits that are considered part of a happy childhood but that are not affordable for these families.
With the changes in schools and social programming due to COVID-19, we are experiencing higher volumes of needs for the children we help.
Our kits are a fun and safe way for families to spend quality time together, exercising creative expression and building happy memories. You can help by donating art supplies, journals or craft supplies and seasonal treats.